Lobmeyr was founded in Vienna, Austria in 1823 by Josef Lobmeyr, and quickly became a purveyor to the Hapsburg imperial family. The company embraced the Wiener Werkstätte under the stewardship of Stefan Rath senior in 1912. The company began making chandeliers after the war, eventually acquiring Zahn (founded 1780) in 1972. Lobmeyr's full range of glasswares embrace its history while continuing their focus on "the contemporary interpretation of light and glass."