- You don’t need to be a DIY whiz.
- But you do need to pick up some power tools.
- The materials won't cost much—and they'll be free if you repurpose wood.
- You'll spend some time waiting for the wax oil to dry.
- But otherwise, your hands-on time is a couple hours.
To arrange an open shelf is to create a vignette, be it a collection of handcrafted ceramics in the kitchen or artwork, souvenirs, and plants in the living room. "I think there is interest in that—how can I surround myself with things that are beautiful and that I love?" says Keren Richter, co-founder and principal designer of Brooklyn-based studio White Arrow. "And a display shelf is an easy way to do that."
Join Dwell+ to Continue
Subscribe to Dwell+ to get everything you already love about Dwell, plus exclusive home tours, video features, how-to guides, access to the Dwell archive, and more.
You can cancel at any time.