10 Tips for Timeless Luxury
My design philosophy is always focused on creating luxury design that is timeless. This means the overall design can stand the test of time and be just as current tomorrow as it is today, with a feel of sophistication that incorporates beautiful, interesting materials in a well-conceived environment.
Get carefully curated content filled with inspiring homes from around the world, innovative new products, and the best in modern design
Based on my experience as a designer, here's what that takes:
1. Create a design that is rooted in function and problem-solving; luxury is all about the personal, custom approach to a design solution.
2. Always design the "bones" of the interior (walls, floors, ceilings) to be permanent since these set the stage of the overall design.
3. Create an architectural background with important detailing that gives uniqueness and definition to the home, including creative and proper lighting solutions.
4. Use natural materials like stone, fine woods, and marbles that convey a sense of strength and everlasting beauty.
5. Choose furnishings with interesting finishes that add to the overall character of the home. Go for unique woods such as anigre, African Bubunga, or wenge; or choose stone materials and mix in onyx or unusual marbles.
6. Select materials or fabrics that are durable yet have rich textures or color tones that are inviting and can feel delicious.
7. Use your knowledge and personal preferences to guide decisions for color and furnishings. Never follow the "color of the year."
8. Stay clean and always refine - and avoid too much clutter. Overdoing anything will be wearisome. Luxury is often seen through fine line and clarity.
9. Luxury is also conveyed with consistency in design throughout the home, inside and out. Stay true to the architectural elements.
10. Timeless luxury design can be contemporary, modern, traditional, transitional, or casual eclectic as long as it is done with quality details and thoughtful choices.