If the Great Recession has an unofficial mascot, it's Detroit. Even though the once-mighty Motown has been in a slow-motion death-spin since the days of the K-car, the city's abandoned factories and hollowed-out neighborhoods have lately been rediscovered as metaphors for the failures of capitalism -- and the hopefulness of art.
@current / @total
- Beautiful Vancouver, aka Hollywood North, has its own brand of modern cool. Here are 8 designs Dwell loves from the city.
- We recap 2013's top headlines related to design and architecture.
- Skip the Sydney Opera House and click through these five amazing abodes in Australia's biggest city.
- From Luis Barragán's Mexico City residence to the Alvar Aalto House in Helsinki, we share ten architects' dwellings that are now museums.
- From Stuttgart, Germany to Iwaki City, Japan, we take a look at 15 of the most extraordinarily-designed libraries.
- A place to catch morning rays or a bit of fresh air, balconies often become favorite spaces in modern homes. Click through the slideshow for a look at seven designs from the Dwell archive.
- Daniella Zalcman is a photojournalist who has worked for the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Sports Illustrated, and National Geographic, among other outlets.
- Manufacturing in the United States is thriving and in our July/August issue we highlighted the American designers and makers producing modern wares.