Beaux Meets New
The St. Louis Art Museum has announced the June 29th opening of its recently completed expansion, the East Building. The walls are up, the lights are on, and all that remains to be done is the lengthy process of hanging artwork. The David Chipperfield-designed building will bring together new and old as it connects to the Cass Gilbert-designed Beaux Arts building that has housed a top tier collection of art since 1904.
@current / @total
- Shigeru Ban calls the Aspen Art Museum, which is expected to be completed this summer, "my great step forward in my career as an architect." Dwell caught up with the architect for the recent reveal…
- On a quaint, tree-lined street in Berkeley, California, architect Sarah Deeds of Deeds Design and carpenter John McBride placed a 120-square-foot office/art studio near their main house, a renovated…
Sheet-iron modules can be rearranged with the aid of small magnets.
- As a pioneering voice in the diffusion of modern art and design, Josef Albers's contributions to printmaking, color theory and pedagogy cannot be overstated.
- This week we're adding a new feature to our weekly Out and About articles: slideshows featuring images from each of the weekend's highlighted exhibitions.
- The modernist designer generated an oeuvre that is gentler and more sensuous in spirit than many of her competitors.
- All it took was a new copper-clad addition, the installation of a geo-thermal heating and cooling system, and some LED lighting to transform an elegant yet out-of-date 19th century building in…