The duplex is situated in a 2 storey townhouse building on Charonne street next to Bastille. The street was part of a former Charonne village where handcrafting and wood crafting where the dominating activities beside being a vast territory dedicated to cultivation of vineyards and wine making. The neighborhood was annexed to Paris in 1860. The building alone stands within Cité du Couvent which became after the french revolution a cotton factory. Today rue de Charonne is a very lively street composed of many shops, restaurants and bars.