So you have finally decided that you need a storage facility, maybe because your family is expanding and so is your stuff or maybe you just want to clear up a little extra space. Whatever your reasoning one thing is for sure; storage spaces are a great way to help you organize your life. But before you call up the storage facility nearest you, there are a few things renters should beware of.
Below we listed five things renters should familiarize themselves with before they take that next step and rent a space. Renters are also encouraged to do the research themselves and learn everything there is to about renting a space.
1. Storage facilities are never exactly alike. Depending on where you rent you will have to deal with things like; customer service, grounds cleanliness, hours of operation, etc. It is up to you to do the research and find which storage facility fits your needs best. Those who own storage facilities are keepers of your precious belongings and you would not turn things over to just anyone would you? It is your responsibility to make sure you know all about the storage facility before you commit to it.
2. Although storage facilities may provide a little more security than your home, burglaries do happen. You would never want to store something that is priceless to you, such things should be kept in a bank. Be aware of what is going into your storage unit and take inventory. It is also good to occasionally do a thorough check to make sure everything is still there. Also, one thing to look for at a storage facility are their security cameras. Questions to ask may be; How often is someone guarding the premises? Or are there any hidden cameras?
3. Some storage facilities raise their rent, before you commit you must ask what is the constant going rate, also see if you can get a written agreement to lock in your price.
4. Remember to make the most use of your storage space. Remember when you were a kid and Dad would pack the car before a vacation? Did he utilize every ounce of space possible or just throw things into the car carelessly? Making the most from your small rented space is smart. To get the most from your investment it would be wise to disassemble anything that can be taken apart and pack everything as neatly as you can.
5. Check with the storage facility and see what their insurance policy is. Most storage facilities are not liable for your belongings so if they do not offer some type of insurance, you should consider getting it from an outside source.
These five things that renters should make themselves aware of are not to scare anyone from renting a storage space. Overall, a storage facility is a wise decision for anyone looking to free up some space in their home or apartment. However renters should beware of what they are getting into. Knowledge is power and the more you know, the more prepared you will be in the long run. If you are looking to move and if you need storage units Austin.