Front loading washing machines have become the norm in households and laundromats, and for good reason - they use less energy and require less detergent than top loading washers. One of its few drawbacks, however, is the way grime can accumulate in crevices and behind the front window glass. Running a simple vinegar and baking soda solution through the washer once a month will get rid of lingering odors. As an added bonus, reviving your washer helps your clothes come out cleaner.
- 2 cups vinegar
- ¼ cup baking soda
- ¼ cup water
- Clean sponge
*Make sure your washing machine is empty of clothes.
- Mix the baking soda and water.
- Pour baking soda mixture into the detergent compartment of your washing machine.
- Pour the vinegar into the drum of your washing machine (where you would normally put your clothes).
- Set the water temperature on hot and set the cycle for a normal load. Run your machine.
- After your wash cycle is finished, use a clean sponge to clean the rubber lining at the opening of the washer. Wet the sponge to clean off any residue.
- Your clean washer is ready for use.