Built in 1908, the converted two-bedroom structure was originally a records office for the railroad.
The Tiburon Peninsula, a part of San Francisco Bay, has provided an important link with Marin County and Northern California for centuries. Spanish explorers in 1775 named the landmass Punta de Tiburon, which, over the next 100 years, grew from farmland to an industrial hub and railway center. By 1884, Tiburon offered commuter ferries to San Francisco and connections to Eureka via the North Pacific Railroad, later renamed the Northwestern Pacific Railroad.
The last train rolled out of Point Tiburon on September 25, 1967, ending decades of declining ridership in a quickly changing, car-obsessed America. As the railroad company handed over buildings to the community, renowned local architect Charles Warren Callister stepped in to claim the former records building as a new office for his practice. Known as 'The Barn' for its distinctive redwood-lined interior and bright red facade, Callister kept most of the interior intact and designed a new one-bedroom extension.
Recently listed for sale, the two structures offer a total of three bedrooms spread out across a combined 4,410 square feet. The original railroad office features many original details, including wood paneling throughout and a great room with soaring ceilings underneath a timber-beamed pitched roof. Keep scrolling to see more of the property, which is currently listed for $2,477,000.