4. Don’t be afraid to make a statement. Create interest or drama in design, color, or material use.
5. Look for wonderful, interesting rich materials for floors, walls, cabinets and counter tops. Go for exotic woods, stones with unusual finishes like leathered and flamed marble tops or add some inlaid floor patterning.
6. Go for great bath lighting which is critical to successful design and making you look good. Get this done properly and professionally. Make sure the vanity has eye level side sink lighting combined with upper lighting. Include accent lighting in other bath locations.
7. Always anticipate storage needs and build that in to your designs. The biggest luxury is being able to find the right place to put everything away neatly. Plan your custom cabinetry based on these needs.
9. Think about the items that you will need to make this bath a true luxury space. Have you included a hand held shower at a large tub for personal use and easy cleaning? Are there dual shower heads with an overhead rain head? Is there a TV in the shower with music controls?
Great bath design succeeds when people think about how they want to live and function in their private sanctum. Everything is critical to the vision the owner/design professional wants to create in this very personal space. It is all about creating a wish list along with the basics that will allow you to create the outline to proceed. As with all good design, a great bath needs expertise, knowledge and planning. A functioning, well designed and beautiful bathroom is a true luxury. Here, we present ten tips from an interior design pro on how to deck out your bathroom in style.