Visiting Borrego Springs
Last week I was in Borrego Springs, California, a tiny town in the middle of the Anza Borrego desert in San Diego County. A good two hours northeast of San Diego, the town was, and is, a hotspot for mid-century modern design. Tucked in among the Spanish and southwestern architecture is a trove of homes, offices, and clubs that would make any fan of the fabulous 50s drool. Lesser known than storied Palm Springs, Borrego Springs offers all the beauty of the desert without the bustle of the better known vacation spot. I got a cracking tour of the place from Bill Lawrence who runs Borrego Modern and I'll be posting more photos from my trip soon. Here's the first batch to whet your appetite for groovy desert design.
Showing image @current of @total
- I posted some of the mid-century buildings in my last Borrego Springs update, but over the course of my three days in the desert I visited a half dozen really beautiful homes.
- This spring, I had the chance to visit the tiny town of Borrego Springs in the middle of Anza-Borrego Desert State Park in San Diego County, California.
- One of the highlights of my trip down to Borrego Springs and the Anza Borrego desert, was a detour to Salvation Mountain.
- In honor of the summer travel season, we've collected 7 modern getaways in far-flung locations from India to New Zealand to Greece.
- In Palm Springs, California, “mid-century modern” connotes more than just Eames chairs and glass walls; it also hints at Hollywood Regency.
Great design helps us humans enjoy comfortable, modern lives and since many dogowners consider their furry friends members of their families too, shouldn’t they also benefit from good design? That's the idea behind BARKitecture CHIQue 2009, a doghouse design competition and auction that I'm here in Palm Springs, California, to help to judge and which takes place Friday, May 1 to benefit Gilda’s Club Desert Cities California.
Palm Springs is a city steeped in mid-century modern architecture and speckled with homes by design legendaries like John Lautner, W. Stewart Williams, William Krisel, Lloyd Wright, so these are not going to be your everyday doghouses but ones with thoughtful, regional, eco- and, of course, pet-friendly designs.
The BARKitecture CHIQue 2009 event takes place at the Ace Hotel and Swim Club on Friday from 6 to 8 p.m. and will feature the doghouses on display followed by an awards presentation of the top three winners and a live auction of those winner (the remaining designs will be sold in at silent auction). The proceeds benefit Gilda’s Club Desert Cities California, a support organization for people whose lives have been affected by cancer.
Check out this video clip by local station KPSP to see some of the designs that will be on display. To attend BARKitecture CHIQue 2009 call Total Marketing Partners at 760-323-3338 for tickets, $25 each. If you’re able to make it to the event, be sure to find me and say hello! —Miyoko Ohtake
- Palm Springs is one of our perennial favorite destinations for design; the region is positively riddled with midcentury modern architecture and vintage shops, and the natural landscape is…
- A perennial subject at Dwell on Design, prefab housing takes the show floor by storm this year.