Ventura Lambrate Trumps in Milan
For the second year running, Milan’s Zona Tortona feels more like Zona Tortura, a nightclub dotted with big brand showrooms, than the former creative epicenter of the Salone furniture fair that it has been for years. Dance music pulses out of black-curtained buildings past the large men (bouncers?) dressed in black suits that guard them while costumed kids handed out free drink tickets. For those seeking a slower-tempo compliment to the commercial fair center at Tortona, the best relief is Ventura Lambrate, where the warehouses surrounding the polytechnic university—themselves beautiful objects of architectural design—are filled with student work, some fresh takes on old products and materials, and design that borders on art. Check out our slideshow of what to see at Ventura Lambrate.
Showing image @current of @total
- Hello, sports fans! That's right: Milan's annual design fair happens next week, and it's big, bad, and enough of an endurance test to qualify as spring training.
- Last week, Dwell visited this year’s fall edition of the design and interiors trade show Maison & Objet.
- Australia—the light-drenched island at the bottom of the world, the site of virgin white beaches, exotic air, and majestic wilderness, place to a vivid national surf culture, a heady tropical…
- Jason Bruges is showing in Milan for the first time with Established & Sons.
- Danish furniture company Carl Hansen & Son reissued Hans Wegner's classic CH33 chair at this year's Salone Internazionale del Mobile in Milan.
- Dwell has traveled to Milan, Italy, for the 2011 Salone Internazionale del Mobile, the largest furniture fair in the world, to see firsthand the latest novelties from renowned designers and to…
- Day three of non-stop design action at the Milan Furniture Fair delivered another great slideshow of new furniture and lighting.
- This week in Milan, designers from around the world are showcasing their latest work at the Salone Internazionale del Mobile, where buyers and designophiles flock each April to hold their place at…