Picture this: You’re standing on the subway. The train begins to fill, begins to move, it lurches forward and the man standing next to you grabs the bar, right above your hand. Touching your hand. It’s awkward, it’s intimate, it can be off-putting and germy (who knows where those palms have been?). It’s situations like these that are cleverly tackled at Uncomfortable Conversations, a show in the Meatpacking District curated by Liz Kinnmark and Kegan Fisher, the talented duo behind Design Glut.
@current / @total
Who wouldn't want a way to skip an inevitably awkward face-to-face by sending a straight-shooting card instead? Kegan and Liz, the charming gals behind Design Glut, are no strangers to uncomfortable situations—their show at ICFF this year dealt with a handful of cringeworthy circumstances—and their one-message-fits-most greeting is a welcome note for the time you forgot to water your roommate's favorite fern and it wilted away, or decided you have a crush on your best friend and he's gotta know, or or or or.......
- Will Robison and Jacob Krupnick believe that transforming basic transactions into “retail experiments” will change the rapport we have with what we buy.
How do you stop a rhino from charging? Take away his credit card (wah wah)…and cast him in ceramic. Your treasures will always be safe in his two armored compartments.
- Last week I spent a few days running around Manhattan (sometimes literally) reporting a handful of upcoming stories for Dwell.
- A new book opens the door to a subterranean New York only seen by transit workers and graffiti artist.
- Sometimes a hand-written note is the only way to go, and from a simple statement to a clever quip, Dwell’s found the right card for the occasion.
- Bucking the going notion that the only conversation about design in Washington DC is of the "intelligent" kind, capital spot Industry Gallery is launching Hands On this weekend, an…
- In a campaign pledge last week that resembles a high school candidate’s promise to give out free pop during lunchtime, Paris mayoral candidate Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet, of the center-right UMP…