Tuscan Winery by Renzo Piano
Nestled into the Tuscan landscape, in the municipality of Gavorrano in the heart of Maremma, sits a modern winery called Rocca di Frassinello. Designed by Renzo Piano, the brilliant red structure can be seen for miles, and overlooks the Medieval hamlet of Giuncarico. Piano, who grew up a family vineyard in the Ovada hills, was tempted to accept the project after revisiting the area by helicopter. His conception, a modern interpretation of a traditional Tuscan wine-making operation, opened in 2007 and is largely underground, featuring a cavernous amphitheater that holds 2,500 oak barrels holding a "super-Tuscan" blend of Sangiovese, Merlot and Chianti.
@current / @total
- We highlight Italian architect Renzo Piano, winner of the Pritzker Prize and one of Time’s 100 most influential people in the world.
- Back in 2009 former Dwell senior editor Sarah Rich made a short report on a visit to Napa Valley's Hourglass Winery's Blueline property.
- As we began dispersing for the holidays—heading our separate ways to SoCal and all the way to the Carribean—we take a look back at the best of what we saw worldwide in 2010.
- Earlier this week I attended the press preview for "How Wine Became Modern," opening at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art on Saturday, November 20.
- I met with Italian architect and Pritzker Prize winner Renzo Piano one week before the official opening of his latest museum project, an addition to the historic Isabella Gardner Museum in Boston,…
We're great fans of the grape here at Dwell. Are you a fellow oenophile? Bookmark this page for handy reference. From wine accessories to wine glassware to wine storage and more (including a how-to for stocking your cellar!), we've got you covered.
- The architecture of Richard Rogers weds the best of high-tech design with the outer limits of the architect’s imagination, creating soaring, sustainable spaces that enrich everyday urban life.
- Designed by Spanish architects RCR Arquitectes, La Bodega is a winery situated on a private vineyard near the coastal town of Palamos.