Touring the Vitra Campus
In addition to my tour of the Freitag factory in Zurich, a huge high point of my recent trip to Switzerland involved hopping over the border from Basel to 1 Charles-Eames-Strasse in Weil am Rhein, Germany, to see the Vitra Design Museum and Vitra campus. Since a fire did major damage to the buildings and factories on the Vitra campus in 1981, the company has taken rebuilding very seriously. Buildings by the likes of Zaha Hadid, Frank Gehry, Tadao Ando, Sir Nicholas Grimshaw and Herzog and de Meuron now dot the campus giving it the most starchitect for the buck that I've ever seen. Click on the slideshow above to get the tour.
@current / @total
- Vitra's Weil-am-Rhein, Germany, campus boasts not only the production facilities of the famous furniture manufacturer but also numerous iconic buildings by world-renowned architects.
- The Vitra Campus in Weil-am-Rhein, Germany, is design-heaven on Earth.
- Last month I traveled to Basel, Switzerland, a European city first founded during the Roman Empire and still boasting beautiful buildings constructed more than 1,000 years agos.
- One of the highlights of my recent trip to Basel, Switzerland, was crossing the border to visit the Vitra campus in Weil-am-Rhein, Germany, about 25 minutes from Basel, and exploring the VitraHaus.
- Frank Gehry, Rem Koolhaas, Oscar Niemeyer, Daniel Libeskind, Zaha Hadid: Architecture’s best have all tackled the summer design challenge of building a temporary pavilion for London's Serpentine…
- Over the recent holidays I was out for a ramble here in San Francisco and happened into the shop ATYS.
- "One of the good things about doing decent public design in a prominent place is that people look at it and say: Why can’t we have that everywhere?”
- For the next in our unconventional-campus-spaces series, I could not neglect one of Boston's most controversial works, Frank Gehry's Stata Center.