Touring Basel, Switzerland, Part 2
Last month I traveled to Basel, Switzerland, a European city first founded during the Roman Empire and still boasting beautiful buildings constructed more than 1,000 years agos. In Touring Basel, Switzerland, Part 1, I explored the city's historic downtown, which is a mix of neo-Gothic cathedrals, knit graffiti, ancient bridges, and Richard Serra sculptures. In Part 2, we share the fun to be had in and around the Rhine and travel outside the city to the Vitra campus and the Laufen bathrooms factory.
@current / @total
- At the end of September, I hopped across the pond to visit Basel, Switzerland, and the nearby Laufen bathrooms factory and showroom.
- What do an eco-home, a museum, and a concrete prefab home have in common? Modern design and a shared location: Switzerland.
- One of the highlights of my recent trip to Basel, Switzerland, was crossing the border to visit the Vitra campus in Weil-am-Rhein, Germany, about 25 minutes from Basel, and exploring the VitraHaus.
- Basel, at first glance, seems an unlikely capital of cutting edge architecture. With buildings by many of the world’s most renowned architects — Herzog & de Meuron, SANAA, Frank Gehry, and Renzo Piano to name a few — Basel is still a traditional European city characterized primarily by its political and industrial borders.This three day conference of building visits, lectures and tours offers a deeper look into the forces that have contributed to Basel’s contemporary architecture, while addressing the unique challenges this tri-national region faces in urban design for the 21st century.
- The Vitra Campus in Weil-am-Rhein, Germany, is design-heaven on Earth.
- Built for a young family of Spartan-minded clients, architect Felix Oesch's spare, concrete prefab outside of Zurich is a marvel of clean living.
- Industrial designer Alfredo Häberli shows us how to pass the hours in Zurich, Switzerland, a city with no shortage of timekeepers.
- In addition to my tour of the Freitag factory in Zurich, a huge high point of my recent trip to Switzerland involved hopping over the border from Basel to 1 Charles-Eames-Strasse in Weil am Rhein,…