The Stealth Winery
Thousands of oenophiles trek to California’s Napa Valley each year to indulge in its scenic vistas and celebrated wineries. While the Chandons and Mondavis of the Valley are open to the throngs of tourists who ogle at the modern-day spectacle that is wine tasting, one remains closed on most days. And on the rare occasions that the Dominus Estate opens its silver gates to the public, it does so for architectural tours—not tastings. When I took one look at the building’s modernist sensibilities, I instantly knew why.
@current / @total
We've long been fans of gabions—those rock filled cages usually used for civil engineering purposes. They've made their way into high-design buildings (thanks, Herzog + de Meuron) and now they've become part of furniture design thanks to Britain's Benjamin Hubert. He introduced this table—which boasts an ash top and granite ballast to keep it stable—at the 2011 London Design Festival, and it couldn't have come a moment sooner.
- From beautiful places to stay, to modern places to sip, to yummy places to eat, and even some stunning places to live—if you can get the owners to sell—we take you through some of our favorite places…
- Herzog & de Meuron design a new home for the Parrish Art Museum, providing an excuse to visit the Hamptons in the off-season.
- From the warm tone of travertine to the pitch black of Indian granite to the industrial edge of gabions, natural stone products lend a lot to the tactility and mood of a structure.
- In our October Modern Across America issue, we previewed the Hamptons' Parrish Art Museum, designed by Swiss architects Herzog & de Meuron with interiors by Konstantin Grcic.
- In a new book, artist Jose Dávila ponders, "How many buildings around the world have such distinctive designs that simply their outline, and nothing else, is enough to identify them?" Focusing on…
- Nestled into the Tuscan landscape, in the municipality of Gavorrano in the heart of Maremma, sits a modern winery called Rocca di Frassinello.
- The dark, primeval mountains and jagged ravines of New Zealand are free of rampaging Orcs, but Middle-earth, 2007, has another nuisance on the loose.