Sofia Design Week 2013: The Balkan Date
"When speaking of design on the Balkans, the usual reaction to the topic ranges from embarrassment to bewilderment to a smile. Until recently we were surprised at the growing interest of large-scale design platforms into the region. With its fifth edition, Sofia Design Week counteracts the skepticism and scant availability of information by putting you live in contact with the new wave of Balkan designers. Here and now, Bulgarians, Romanians, Turks, Greeks, Serbs, Kosovars, Slovenians, Albanians, Montenegrins, Croatians, Macedonians, Bosnians and Herzegovians are creating a surprisingly interesting, different and potentially characteristic design. " —Sofia Design Week curators/organizers
@current / @total
- Keeping your bike outside leaves it prone to theft, even if you lock it up.
- This is how the Dwellians show you that we care—by sharing our prized Internet finds of the week. Today's offering includes everything from politics and Peeps to typography and trousers.
- British clothing company Mulberry opened their first West Coast boutique in San Francisco this past week.
- Yes, it's another installment of our beloved Friday Finds. Have a look at the design, technology, and photography picks from the week.
- As an extension to the sold-out "Creativity & Constraint" event at the #DellVenue during Dwell's City Modern 2013, Designer Jonathan Adler and Dell Creative Director Tommy Lynn discuss the…
- This week we're adding a new feature to our weekly Out and About articles: slideshows featuring images from each of the weekend's highlighted exhibitions.
- Discover the delightfully obscure, the strangely humorous, and the downright good design that the editors of Dwell found this week.
- This week's round-up is a varied mix, from radio shows and stylized manhole covers to photo essays and solar-powered bike parking stations.