Living on Water: Floating Villages
During my jaunt to Cambodia last month, when I was not hauling bricks to build an outdoor school kitchen with my studio, I had the chance to see a multitude of informal building in both urban and rural areas of the country. On one of our precious days off, we dashed off in tuk-tuks, motorbikes, and boats to explore the legendary floating villages on Cambodia’s Tonle Sap lake.
@current / @total
- After visiting the legendary floating villages on Cambodia’s Tonle Sap, I took a detour to Kompong Phluk, a permanent settlement built upon stilts at the edge of the lake.
- Whether it is floating on a river in Ontario or a short walk to the beach in California, these five homes embrace the life aquatic.
- Hay insulation, passive solar, drought-tolerant gardens: Behold the following 7 houses from Dwell's pages that give back by striving for net-zero status.
- A tongue-in-cheek design guide, the world's first biodegradable water filter, a concrete camera DIY tutorial, Instagrams of North Korea, and more. Welcome to this week's Friday Finds! Happy Friday!
- A handful of homes who modernize their lake- or seaside locations with horizontal slats, lots of wood, and vernacular references.
- On a former brownfield site across the river from downtown Boston, a renovated turn-of-the-century lithography factory trades in carbon copies for a lighter carbon footprint.
- Economic meltdown aside, if you’re still thinking about plunking down some hard-earned cash on a new HDTV this holiday season, you’d do well to check out HD Guru’s colossal review…
- There was once a steel-decked river barge, decommissioned and idle in Morgan City, Louisiana.