Living on Water: Floating Villages
During my jaunt to Cambodia last month, when I was not hauling bricks to build an outdoor school kitchen with my studio, I had the chance to see a multitude of informal building in both urban and rural areas of the country. On one of our precious days off, we dashed off in tuk-tuks, motorbikes, and boats to explore the legendary floating villages on Cambodia’s Tonle Sap lake.
@current / @total
- After visiting the legendary floating villages on Cambodia’s Tonle Sap, I took a detour to Kompong Phluk, a permanent settlement built upon stilts at the edge of the lake.
- Three sustainably designed dwellings in Phnom Penh show how far two grand can go.
- Whether it is floating on a river in Ontario or a short walk to the beach in California, these five homes embrace the life aquatic.
- Hay insulation, passive solar, drought-tolerant gardens: Behold the following 7 houses from Dwell's pages that give back by striving for net-zero status.
- From renovated Airstreams to futuristic cars, these roaming residences represent the past, present, and future of mobile living.
- A tongue-in-cheek design guide, the world's first biodegradable water filter, a concrete camera DIY tutorial, Instagrams of North Korea, and more. Welcome to this week's Friday Finds! Happy Friday!
- A handful of homes who modernize their lake- or seaside locations with horizontal slats, lots of wood, and vernacular references.
- At this point in the planting season, your friends and neighbors may already have neatly arranged rows of starter plants in their backyard, or pots on their balcony starting to sprout CSA-worthy…