Live from London: Lifestylebazaar
I was thrilled to discover that East London is chock full of design do-gooders. The second stop of my tour of the Shoreditch design district was Lifestylebazaar, a home furnishing boutique filled with all sorts of designery goodies I won't be able to fit in my suitcase. While Ella Doran's placemat auction benefits Shelter, a UK homelessness charity, Lifestylebazaar is auctioning off nine reinterpretations of Philippe Starck's Louis Ghost chair for Kartell – itself a modern reinterpretation of the ornamental Louis XV-style chair. The proceeds will benefit the London-based Children With Aids Charity (CWAC).
@current / @total
- Pieces from furniture and textile designer Zoe Murphy were among of the standouts during our weekend tour of Tent London, an amalgamation of art, architecture and design on display at the Truman…
- You can have your pick of a wide assortment of couches, chairs and tables at the 100% Design trade fair at Earl's Court in London, but some of the objects that made the biggest impression were the…
If you don't have much floor or table space for plants, these colorful cubes would allow you to introduce some easy (and low maintenance) greens into your home; The powder-coated steel pots project at an angle from the wall, and are just the right size for a small succulent. Or, if you're not into growing, one would be perfect by the front door as a place to drop your keys. Available in the US at the brilliant A Plus R Store.
- From commentary in The Incidental (a community-generated newsletter and website tracking the design buzz this week in the British capital) to a curated show of his father's pottery collection,…
- We celebrated the start of London Design Festival with tea and itty bitty cupcakes at British textile and surface designer Ella Doran's shop in East London.
Let's be frank. Sometimes, when you're sitting on the couch, and you're feeling pretty comfy, and you've got a pleasantly warm beverage in your hand, it is just a little too much to ask to unsettle yourself to reach over to steady your mug on the side table or reach down to lay it on the floor. Sometimes, you just want to rest the darn thing on your knee and never let go. This, friends, is the drinking vessel for you: The bottom is specially curved to sit just-so on your leg. Check out the lap mug as well, but make sure your tea of coffee is less than scalding to protect your delicate bits.
- A new exhibit at the Museum of Arts & Design celebrates an enduring medium.
- Industry Gallery in Washington DC is the only gallery dedicated to 21st-century design in the US, and they've got a new show up right now that's of some interest.