Live From Helsinki: EcoDesign
At the entrance of Habitare, Finland's largest furniture and interiors expo, designer Yrjö Kukkapuro has curated an exhibition of ecologically-minded chairs. One of Finland's elder statesmen of design, Kukkapuro recently worked with UNESCO to launch a line of bamboo furnishings aimed at the Chinese domestic market. In was in the spirit of this venture that he recruited colleagues and friends from around the globe—and especially Finland—to submit their designs for seating that would not only demonstrate sound aesthetic and ergonomic principals, but also have a strong consideration for environmental impact. Click on the above slideshow button to have a look at 10 of our favorites.
@current / @total
- Eero Aarnio’s persistent quest for functional forms and manufacturing processes has been at the center of his iconic and prolific career.
- I recently picked up a copy of Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky's wonderful translation of War and Peace.
- Brian Keaney of TonfiskDesign may be Irish, but his Finnish is flawless; he guides us through icecold Helsinki’s hot spots.
- A stint in a sauna rumored to have myriad benefits from the social and heath standpoints and if you've considered building one of your own, here are five examples from the Dwell archive.
- For some, living “green” is all about making a statement. But for Petz Scholtus, it boils down to common sense.
- In honor of the verdant and vibrant color green, we've collected a handful of projects that'll make you green with envy.
- Adding to our design itinerary in the Finnish capital with a whirlwind tour of the city’s vibrant furniture, industrial, and ceramics design scene.
- Summer days are long in Scandinavia, and we can't think of any better place to spend the sunny hours than in—and around—these chic and stylish summer houses.