Julio Miranda Thiel's Workshop
I had the chance to visit master potter Julio Miranda Thiel's workshop at the Beldi Country Club just outside of Marrakech. I met Thiel at a dinner a few nights before and he graciously invited me out one morning to see how he marries traditional Moroccan craftsmanship—the town of Safi is the hub of the country's considerable ceramics trade and turns out loads of potters—with more modern forms. Thiel himself studied design in Chile and Argentina and told me that his education was "thoroughly modernist." Here's what I saw.
@current / @total
- I was in Morocco last week and it should come as no surprise to design fans that I was ensorcelled by the variety and complexity of Moroccan tilework.
- 33 Rue Majorelle, a new concept store specializing in housewares and clothes in Marrakech, Morocco, is pushing the nation’s centuries-old design traditions firmly into the 21st century.
- The Marrakech Biennale is in its fourth go here in Morocco's cultural capitol, and though much of the citywide exhibition deals with photography, sculpture and the like, the main show Higher…
- While on a trip to Marrakech late last year, Fort Street Studio owners Brad Davis and Janis Provisor came across a cache of boucherouite rugs made by Berber women most likely between the 1950s and…
- The best part of traveling is rarely the hotel.
- Last year I spent two nights at the luxurious Dylan Hotel in Amsterdam, and I'm excited to share my photos of the place.
- In reaching out to Moroccan architect Adil Naji and his network of artisans to develop the new Moroccan Court, the Metropolitan Museum of Art developed a fascinating permanent installation that…
- Quaintly perched on Tullinsgade in Vesterbro, Copenhagen lies the monoroomed Central Hotel & Café.