It Takes A Village
Oakland, California is infamously known for a Gertrude Stein quote, ongoing issues with crime and poverty, and a decades-long economic decline. However, the city's civic leaders have been battling hard for decades to make the city as socially and economically healthy as possible. One of their most recent endeavors is Tassafaronga Village, Northern California's first LEED Gold certified neighborhood development, which goes to show that in terms of green architecture, there is a "there" in Oakland.
@current / @total
- A transit-oriented mixed-use development in image-obsessed Hollywood? You bet your Botox. This Dwell on Design partner delivers something the hood's been craving: Sustainable, high-density glitz.
- A new word has been added to the vocabulary of Japanese architects: 3/11.
- Each January, the American Institute of Architects awards its annual Honor Awards to the top designs in architecture, interior architecture, and regional and urban design.
- The good folks at Epic Software are building a video production studio out of old shipping containers just outside of Houston, Texas.
Would you believe this sleek side table started out as a pile of milk jugs? Postconsumer, industrial high-density polyethylene looks so much better when it's holding your lemonade, not holed up in a landfill.
Bring some retro style to your deck or patio with the Pliny outdoor lounge chair. Inspired by classic vintage spring chairs, Pliny is made from stainless steel and recycled high-density plastic and is available in seven colors so you'll be eco-friendly and look good, too.
When a full-size chair is unneccesary and you just need a small place to sit, go for a simple, sexy stool. This high-density cork of this drop-shaped seat from Skram has a low-density detail stripe, and the North Carolina-based company has introduced a series of other styles (as well as a set of bowls) in the incredibly durable material.
- This blog series profiles a new prefab development in San Francisco's SOMA neighborhood—a LEED Platinum-targeted building containing 23 "micro-studios." Built in a California factory in a month…