Inside the VitraHaus
One of the highlights of my recent trip to Basel, Switzerland, was crossing the border to visit the Vitra campus in Weil-am-Rhein, Germany, about 25 minutes from Basel, and exploring the VitraHaus. The five-story structure looks like seven longhouses stacked one on top of each other, and it houses the entire Vitra collection. The best part: you're encouraged to take a seat and test out all the pieces.
@current / @total
- The Vitra Campus in Weil-am-Rhein, Germany, is design-heaven on Earth.
- Last month I traveled to Basel, Switzerland, a European city first founded during the Roman Empire and still boasting beautiful buildings constructed more than 1,000 years agos.
- In addition to my tour of the Freitag factory in Zurich, a huge high point of my recent trip to Switzerland involved hopping over the border from Basel to 1 Charles-Eames-Strasse in Weil am Rhein,…
- Vitra's Weil-am-Rhein, Germany, campus boasts not only the production facilities of the famous furniture manufacturer but also numerous iconic buildings by world-renowned architects.
The modular Suita Sofa, designed by Antonio Citterio in collaboration with Vitra, is almost endlessly customizable. Choose from components including one armed seats, two armed seats, a chaise shape, a desk/tray/shelf along the back, headrests, and ottomans to create the perfect design for your space—be it a sprawling sectional for a spacious loft or a compact couch for a small apartment.
- A look at Eero Saarinen's Womb chair, an icon of midcentury modern design.
- I'm smitten with this modular sofa, designed by Antonio Citterio in 2010.
- The sculptural forms of Isamu Noguchi's tables and lamps can transform any room into a work of art.