Inside the VitraHaus
One of the highlights of my recent trip to Basel, Switzerland, was crossing the border to visit the Vitra campus in Weil-am-Rhein, Germany, about 25 minutes from Basel, and exploring the VitraHaus. The five-story structure looks like seven longhouses stacked one on top of each other, and it houses the entire Vitra collection. The best part: you're encouraged to take a seat and test out all the pieces.
Showing image @current of @total
- The Vitra Campus in Weil-am-Rhein, Germany, is design-heaven on Earth.
- Last month I traveled to Basel, Switzerland, a European city first founded during the Roman Empire and still boasting beautiful buildings constructed more than 1,000 years agos.
- In addition to my tour of the Freitag factory in Zurich, a huge high point of my recent trip to Switzerland involved hopping over the border from Basel to 1 Charles-Eames-Strasse in Weil am Rhein,…
- Vitra's Weil-am-Rhein, Germany, campus boasts not only the production facilities of the famous furniture manufacturer but also numerous iconic buildings by world-renowned architects.
- American history lives on in a family’s Tribeca, New York, loft after a renovation by a couple of enterprising architects.
The modular Suita Sofa, designed by Antonio Citterio in collaboration with Vitra, is almost endlessly customizable. Choose from components including one armed seats, two armed seats, a chaise shape, a desk/tray/shelf along the back, headrests, and ottomans to create the perfect design for your space—be it a sprawling sectional for a spacious loft or a compact couch for a small apartment.
- Last weekend I was in Chicago and after hitting the show floor at the Kitchen and Bath Industry Show (KBIS) and visiting Mies van der Rohe's 880-860 Lake Shore Drive Apartments, I traveled along…
- The canon of modern couches already has a pair of Eameses, but it took a small clutch of Italian furniture mavens to create the Charles.