Inside the New Bay Bridge
On a recent sunny San Franciscan morning, associate editor Miyoko Ohtake put on a yellow vest, protective goggles, and a hardhat to partake in a deep-access tour of the new San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. Led by Bay Bridge Public Information Officer Bart Ney, the tour included a visit to (and inside!) the new eastern skyway as well as a boat cruise around the base of the bridge, which is expected to be completed in 2013. Watch our slideshow for a look into the construction of the incredible structure.
@current / @total
- A look at 17 of the longest, tallest, most artful bridges on the planet.
- Recently in San Francisco, the Yerba Buena Community Benefit District and CMG Landscape Architecture unveiled the Yerba Buena Street Life Plan.
- Our world is becoming more and more urban. Today, as Dwell contributor Mark Lamster reported for our June 2010 Megacities issue, more than 75 cities boast populations of more than 5 million.
- Out-of-the-box is so old school.
- Cables and abutments went fancy for a distinct purpose: to convey passersby—not folks whizzing past on vehicles—with personality.
- One of the highlights of my trip to Seattle was taking an early morning photo jog from downtown over to—and through—the Seattle Art Museum's Olympic Sculpture Park.
- CMG Landscape Architecture is one of the coolest firms working in San Francisco today.
- Sydney really is everything people build it up to be: the Opera House, the Botanic Gardens, the beaches! I recently traveled Down Under to take in its sights and sounds.