Highlights of Dwell Design Lab
This past weekend I attended Dwell's first annual Design Lab, which took over a raw penthouse space in the new Millenium Tower in San Francisco's SOMA district and spotlighted 13 local designers. (My colleague Diana Budds offers a good overview of the event here.) After a festive, Kim Crawford Wine-fueled Friday night reception, I spent Saturday afternoon wandering through the show, chatting with the designers about their work and their display spaces. Here are a few of the highlights I spotted...
@current / @total
- Over the weekend of October 29th and 30th, Dwell hosted its first ever Design Lab in San Francisco.
Join us for the first-ever Dwell Design Lab at Millennium Tower. We hand-selected 20 Bay Area designers and design manufacturers to treat the unfinished penthouse like an exhibition space and realize their most experimental ideas. Dwell President Michela O’Connor Abrams will kick off the Design Lab with an opening reception featuring wine by Kim Crawford Wines on Friday, October 28th from 7:00–9:00pm.
Local designer Nancy Van Natta is spearheading the showcase and other participating designers include Kellee Adams Landscape Design, Barbara Scavullo Design, Reba Jones of Butler Armsden, Jiun Ho, David Mast Design, Michael Merrill Design, E.B. Min, Min Day Architecture, Larissa Sand of Sand Studios, Martine Paquin Design, Willem Racke Studio, and Tres McKinney Design. Participating design manufacturers include Berkeley Mills, Caesarstone, Urban Lab, Rann Valdez Stone, and Fireclay Tile.
Designer presentations will be held all day Saturday & Sunday October 29-30, 10:00am–4:00pm.
Tickets are available at: hometour.jlsf.org.
- Temperatures were sweltering in L.A.
- You may have already spied our show floor recaps of Modern Lifestyle, Furniture and Accessories, Kitchen and Bath, and perennial favorite Dwell Outdoor, but here we share our greatest hits from…
- Welcome to my third and final installment of highlights from Maison & Objet 2011. You can find the first two here and here.
- On our second day in Barcelona, fueled by café con leche and enough jamon to kill a horse, we excitedly settled into a breakneck tour of modern Catalan design and architecture.
- We're off to the races at the fifth-annual Dwell on Design conference, currently underway at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
- Ever thought about packing your home on truck trailer? Four architects reimagined the mobile dwelling for an exhibition at Omaha's Kaneko museum.