Go West: DOD Westside Home Tour
June gloom greeted the Dwell on Design tourists early Saturday morning, but that didn’t damper their enthusiasm to get up close and personal with six residences in Dwell on Design’s self-guided Westside Home Tour. From Venice to Baldwin Hills, every home was a ravishing rendition of thoughtful modern living. Though interpreted in uniquely personal ways, modern life through the lens of these six homes was a common pursuit for a welcoming atmosphere that blurred the inside with outside and made full use of the California’s (almost) eternal sunshine. Here are few glimpses of the homes we toured last weekend.
@current / @total
- When Joe Borst saw an affordable bungalow in a Marina del Ray neighborhood filled with either condos or mansions, he knew he found a perfect place for him and his girlfriend Maria Torres to live in.
- We published and you read. Here's part three of our series on the most popular homes ever featured in Dwell. Find 1-20 here and 21-40 here.
- Hosting design competitions is one of our favorite things to do on dwell.com, and we are always overwhelmingly impressed by the rush of intelligent, inspirational, and thought-provoking ideas that…
- A modern oasis for a family in Mexico City breaks from the local vernacular.
- Create outdoor-like spaces—functional all year round and even in chilly climates—with the help of the mighty atrium, a transparent extension of the home.
- For Paul and Shoko Shozi, a pair of retiring Angelenos, the goal was to shut out the neighborhood but bring in the sunny skies.
- A long house on Long Island, this prefab could get to its site peaceably only by traveling in pieces.
- A family enlists Brooklyn design-build firm MADE to renovate a brownstone using surplus and salvaged materials for a budget-conscious patina.