Dwell’s Tips for Modern Travelers
- Take a photographic trek through cities like Melbourne, Australia; Istanbul, Turkey; Mumbai, India; Oslo, Norway; and more, in our anthology of must-stop destinations for the design-savvy traveler.
- Work your way up North Palm Canyon Drive, and you'll hit the highest concentration of modern shopping and dining in Palm Springs.
For the past decade we at Dwell have been ferreting out the best modern design wherever we can find it. And it should come as little surprise that we keep returning to a nation with a centuries-deep lineage of astounding material culture: la France. In honor of photographer Celine Clanet's amazing photo essay in our November 2011 issue depicting the astounding dams of the Savoy region, I've collected a handful of our best stories on French design over the last several years. From the furniture design of Inga Sempé to a masterpiece of rural prefab design by architect Jean-Baptiste Barache, we continue to tip our chapeaux to our amis across l'Atlantique.
- No opera house. No Bondi Beach. No sunning celebs. This is Melbourne, home of Australia’s most thriving design scene.
- No other city in America has meant more to the development of modern residential design than Los Angeles.
- You may not be able to get away from your desk today, but you can take a short visual vacation courtesy of these eight scenes from the Dwell archives.
- Bubbling with an electrical energy and warmed by the Mediterranean sun, Barcelona is unsurprisingly one of Europe’s liveliest destinations.
- In honor of the summer travel season, we've collected 7 modern getaways in far-flung locations from India to New Zealand to Greece.