Design Travel Guide: Cape Town, South Africa
- In South Africa, Pedersen Lennard has crafted two cafes that showcase the design studio’s modern furniture and love of coffee.
The very best of contemporary South African design will be shown at the eighth annual Design Indaba Expo, to be held at the Cape Town International Convention Centre from February 25th to 27th, 2011. With more than 270 confirmed exhibitors, Design Indaba ushers in a new decade of local design excellence. The only expo featuring soley South African artists, the Design Indaba Expo recognizes and celebrates local creative work from craft to product design, fashion, publishing, new media, ceramics, animation, architecture and more. Highlights include an arena with all-day fashion shows, a film festival and the Creative Agencies exhibit where advertising, animation and production studios will showcase their best work.
- In our September 2013 issue, we asked some of our favorite online design writers to introduce their latest local discoveries.
- Cape Town, South Africa, will be the World Design Capital 2014, which is perfect timing, since the country's design scene is booming.
- If you caught our recent round up of shipping container homes, you know there's no shortage of innovative adaptations to the boxy cargo pieces.
- Cape Town, South Africa-based typeface designer and artist Jordan Metcalf has a knack for creating puzzling, intricate algorithms in the form of typefaces.
- Architect Thomas Heatherwick unveils plans to turn a century-old grain silo in Cape Town, South Africa, into the continent's premiere museum devoted to modern African art.