Borrego Springs' Mod Houses
I posted some of the mid-century buildings in my last Borrego Springs update, but over the course of my three days in the desert I visited a half dozen really beautiful homes. Lucky for you, I met photographer Judy Parker, who has shot much of the great architecture in the town and has kindly allowed me to post some of it here. Spared my grainy, ill-lit snapshots, you can revel in the lovingly preserved design details that make Borrego Springs a desert paradise. If you like what you see, do look into getting a copy of Parker's excllent book Borrego Modern. I've got one and it's a really great glimpse of this unique community.
Showing image @current of @total
- Last week I was in Borrego Springs, California, a tiny town in the middle of the Anza Borrego desert in San Diego County.
- This spring, I had the chance to visit the tiny town of Borrego Springs in the middle of Anza-Borrego Desert State Park in San Diego County, California.
- A storied 1980 party house enters a mellower chapter of intimate gatherings filled with canapés, crooners, and cocktails.
- In honor of the summer travel season, we've collected 7 modern getaways in far-flung locations from India to New Zealand to Greece.
- Palm Springs is one of our perennial favorite destinations for design; the region is positively riddled with midcentury modern architecture and vintage shops, and the natural landscape is…
Great design helps us humans enjoy comfortable, modern lives and since many dogowners consider their furry friends members of their families too, shouldn’t they also benefit from good design? That's the idea behind BARKitecture CHIQue 2009, a doghouse design competition and auction that I'm here in Palm Springs, California, to help to judge and which takes place Friday, May 1 to benefit Gilda’s Club Desert Cities California.
Palm Springs is a city steeped in mid-century modern architecture and speckled with homes by design legendaries like John Lautner, W. Stewart Williams, William Krisel, Lloyd Wright, so these are not going to be your everyday doghouses but ones with thoughtful, regional, eco- and, of course, pet-friendly designs.
The BARKitecture CHIQue 2009 event takes place at the Ace Hotel and Swim Club on Friday from 6 to 8 p.m. and will feature the doghouses on display followed by an awards presentation of the top three winners and a live auction of those winner (the remaining designs will be sold in at silent auction). The proceeds benefit Gilda’s Club Desert Cities California, a support organization for people whose lives have been affected by cancer.
Check out this video clip by local station KPSP to see some of the designs that will be on display. To attend BARKitecture CHIQue 2009 call Total Marketing Partners at 760-323-3338 for tickets, $25 each. If you’re able to make it to the event, be sure to find me and say hello! —Miyoko Ohtake
- Architect Donald Wexler was thinking prefab long before prefab was popular. One of Palm Springs's "big five" modernists—along with being William F.
- The swelter of summer is just about upon us—beat the heat with this roundup of swimming pools from issues past.