Blueline at Hourglass Winery
Back in 2009 former Dwell senior editor Sarah Rich made a short report on a visit to Napa Valley's Hourglass Winery's Blueline property. I had a chance to visit this past weekend and wanted to share a few more photos and a chat I had with Hour Glass honcho Jeff Smith. San Francisco-based architect Olle Lundberg of Lundberg Design, Smith, and his wife Carolyn Duryea got construction underway in 2007, and now this decidedly modern winery--which you can visit by appointment only--is one of the rare modern gems in a region largely populated by erstatz chateaus and tawdry Tuscan revival architecture.
@current / @total
- From beautiful places to stay, to modern places to sip, to yummy places to eat, and even some stunning places to live—if you can get the owners to sell—we take you through some of our favorite places…
- Nestled into the Tuscan landscape, in the municipality of Gavorrano in the heart of Maremma, sits a modern winery called Rocca di Frassinello.
- We highlight Italian architect Renzo Piano, winner of the Pritzker Prize and one of Time’s 100 most influential people in the world.
- In a new book out this August, upcycling ace Danny Seo guides readers through the craft of taking trash and everyday objects and transforming them into "better, brighter, and cooler…
- In San Francisco, local food rules.
- In 2009, Ted Hall was producing his own certified-organic wine, growing olives that he turned into extra-virgin olive oil, raising cattle for grass-fed beef, and harvesting heirloom fruits and…
- In Seattle, where others saw only a severe slope and lack of municipal hookups, one couple spotted their ticket to their dream home.
- These new servingware pieces show that having a well-stocked bar isn't always about what's behind the counter. Still thirsty? Find more great barware suggestions in our products section.