We recently had the chance to visit (and marvel) Atelier Brancusi at the Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris, France.
Known as the patriarch of modern sculpture, Constantin Brancusi (1876-1957) was born in Romania, but made his career in France. After studying in Bucharest and Munich, the sculptor received additional training at the prestigious École des Beaux-Arts in Paris, France, working under fellow sculptors Antonin Mercié and Auguste Rodin.
It wasn't until 1920 that Brancusi faced the humilitation of seeing his Princess X (1916) get withdrawn due to alledgedly pornographic material from the Salon des Independants. It was this momentuous event that inspired the sculptor the desire to create his studio as a place of exhibition. The studio eventually became a haven and space for his original works' "doubles."
The Atelier Brancusi collection consists of 137 sculptures, 87 bases, 41 drawings, 2 paintings and more than 1,600 photographic glass plates and all original prints from the hand of the artist.
The Centre Georges Pompidou, which opened its door in 1977, allowed the Brancusi studio to be set up outdoors on the piazza and restored the entirety of his work to its original size, proportions, and layout including compiling all of his sculptures, sketches, models, tools, and furniture together.
Sculpting in wood brought Brancusi towards larger pieces, which ultimately led the sculptor into architecture. The studio also served as a place for regular testing, photographic posings, and essays.
Atelier Brancusi, located in a small one-level building in front of the Centre Georges Pomidou, is open everyday from 2-6PM. Admission from the Pompidou is not required.