An Architect's Guide to Silver Lake
One highlight of my recent visit to Los Angeles was a whirlwind tour of Silver Lake with the great architect Barbara Bestor, who has lived there since 1988. She drove me around, pointing out architectural (and culinary) highlights, and offering insight into the neighborhood's unique creative culture (she should know—she wrote a book about the place a few years ago, called Bohemian Modern: Living in Silver Lake). Here's the scoop.
@current / @total
- We first documented the ten-month renovation of Los Angeles-based architect Barbara Bestor's 1950s bungalow here, but gather your things and get ready to soak in some sun rays yet again by visiting…
- Spying a body of water—be it a placid lake, roaring ocean, glassy pond, or snaking river—from your bedroom window is one of the fairest sights one can see.
- Each week Dwell.com delivers more than 50 original posts, articles, and interviews focused on the latest in modern design.
- It comes at no surprise that some of the most famous architects' early commissions were for their parents. Who better to encourage their experimental ideas?
- As the long weekend slowly draws to a near, we've gathered up five of our most clicked on homes on Dwell this week for your perusal.
- At their house and flower farm in Los Angeles’s Glassell Park, Laura Gabbert and Andrew Avery bring friends, family, and a fleet of urban gardeners together for the classic indoor-outdoor party.
- A rainy start to the Brooklyn Home Tour—the closing event of City Modern—didn't deter those who turned out for a peek into five unique homes in Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, and Boerum…
- The 2012 Venice Biennale is currently taking place until September 25th. Earlier in the week, we shared a recap of the event and here we bring you more photos from the exhibition.