The 2010 LA Modernism Show
The opening night of the Los Angeles Modernism Show, held for the first time at Barker Hangar at the Santa Monica Airport, was defined by intriguing pieces by both modern favorites and less-known—even anonymous—designers. There were happy discoveries, specifically, chairs by French designer Maria Pergay and Italian designer Gigi Radice. The 1970s made a strong showing this year, with macramé and clay sculptures mixed in with wood, chrome and steel pieces. Standouts included a Tony Duquette starburst sculpture from 1974, Le Corbusier chairs re-envisioned in concrete and rebar, and a complete 1960 prototype Holiday House trailer parked right outside. The show runs through Sunday, May 2.
@current / @total
- The 2011 Modernism Show, held in the cavernous Barker Hangar at Santa Monica Airport, brought both rarities and new interpretations within the category.
- The season for pool parties, barbecues, and eating al fresco is afoot.
- The 22nd annual Los Angeles Modernism Show, held May 1–3 at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, featured more than 70 exhibitors with mid-century wares trucked in from all over the country.
- Too much time has passed since we last checked in with mid-century furniture aficianado Sam Kaufman, whose diminutive gallery on Beverly Boulevard is always stocked with the most wonderful…
- We've been eagerly waiting for Dwell on Design for weeks, and as a result, we've been talking about it nonstop. Here are five events you might have missed in all of the excitement.
- They may range from humble wood cabins to contemporary architectural masterpieces, but the following 6 houses have one thing in common: each beautifully complements its lakeside setting.
- Too much time has passed since we last checked in with mid-century furniture aficionado Sam Kaufman, whose diminutive gallery on Beverly Boulevard is always stocked with the most wonderful things.
- Abuzz with visitors discovering and testing out all manner of sustainable alfresco products, Dwell Outdoor drew a huge crowd all day Saturday, with many filing in and out of a brand-new modern…