The 2010 LA Modernism Show
The opening night of the Los Angeles Modernism Show, held for the first time at Barker Hangar at the Santa Monica Airport, was defined by intriguing pieces by both modern favorites and less-known—even anonymous—designers. There were happy discoveries, specifically, chairs by French designer Maria Pergay and Italian designer Gigi Radice. The 1970s made a strong showing this year, with macramé and clay sculptures mixed in with wood, chrome and steel pieces. Standouts included a Tony Duquette starburst sculpture from 1974, Le Corbusier chairs re-envisioned in concrete and rebar, and a complete 1960 prototype Holiday House trailer parked right outside. The show runs through Sunday, May 2.
@current / @total
- Too much time has passed since we last checked in with mid-century furniture aficianado Sam Kaufman, whose diminutive gallery on Beverly Boulevard is always stocked with the most wonderful…
- Too much time has passed since we last checked in with mid-century furniture aficionado Sam Kaufman, whose diminutive gallery on Beverly Boulevard is always stocked with the most wonderful things.
- The 2011 Modernism Show, held in the cavernous Barker Hangar at Santa Monica Airport, brought both rarities and new interpretations within the category.
- Many a modern-design enthusiast can spot a Cesca side chair and say it was designed by Marcel Breuer. But, were it upholstered in Digit fabric, few could name the textile designer.
- The best way to gain perspective on the aesthetics of a given era is by examining the product designs of the time.
- The 22nd annual Los Angeles Modernism Show, held May 1–3 at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, featured more than 70 exhibitors with mid-century wares trucked in from all over the country.
- Last weekend I was in Chicago and after hitting the show floor at the Kitchen and Bath Industry Show (KBIS) and visiting Mies van der Rohe's 880-860 Lake Shore Drive Apartments, I traveled along…
- Abuzz with visitors discovering and testing out all manner of sustainable alfresco products, Dwell Outdoor drew a huge crowd all day Saturday, with many filing in and out of a brand-new modern…