Visiting H.D. Buttercup
Without condoning knockoffs, let me say: It is a thrill to walk into a furniture shop and discover a slew of handsome and vaguely familiar-looking design pieces that I can actually afford. This was my experience last week at H.D. Buttercup—a 30,000-square-foot offshoot of the even more gigantic 150,000-square-foot Los Angeles mothership. "The pieces are just enough different that they're not actually knock-offs," an employee said. Hrm. In better news, many of the wares are made in the U.S.A.—including an impressive 75% of their upholstered furniture—and they have a solid selection of pieces made from reclaimed and sustainably harvested wood. Here's a peek at what I saw and loved on a recent visit.
@current / @total
- Last year I spent two nights at the luxurious Dylan Hotel in Amsterdam, and I'm excited to share my photos of the place.
- Browsing online design shops peeping at awesome housewares and furniture counts as 'work' here at Dwell, and I recently discovered what might be my new favorite design resource: Horne, founded by…
- In our October 2011 issue we're spotlighting all of our favorite American-made design.
- "I found the Airstream in the high desert of Anza, California, and thought it was a pure TLC job.
- In 1985, the Sprague Electric Mill in North Adams, Massachusetts, closed down.
- When people enter Svetlin Krastev and Dessi Nikolova's one-bedroom apartment in Manhattan—featured in our March issue and online here—the first thing they see is the sculptural Corian…
Join HD Buttercup for late night shopping on June 27th (6-9pm) at the Helms Bakery compound in Los Angeles! Enjoy light refreshments and live entertainment (by Adam Topol- Jack Johnson's Band and Raul Pacheco-Ozomatli, 6-8pm) while you shop the main store. Our Helms Ave. In Bed boutique will also be open for late night shopping (6-9pm).
Additionally, three trunk shows will be offering artwork, candles, and textiles to the public; a live demonstration will also take place where beautiful fabrics will be hand-dyed by the makers of Aviva Stanoff Designs! Shop these items while you peruse our wider selection of home goods that will heavily discounted.
All items storewide are 20-70% off in celebration of the Half Yearly Buttercup Sale (6/21-7/14/13). Don't miss great deals on home furnishings, accessories, rugs and more! We hope to see you at this special evening event!
- When Hector Perez couldn't find the ideal mailbox to install outside of his Eichler in Oakland, California, he decided to make his own.