Here at Dwell, we love all things Airstream, that modernist silver bullet racing toward the freedom of the open road. And though some of the best Airstream design takes the object as a mobile home, French designer Thierry Gaugain (a decades-long lieutenant of Philipe Starck) has recently reimagined it as a mobile shop, or as he puts it, "a toy chest on wheels." Gaugain was employed by the outdoor clothing brand Aether to design a kind of mobile command unit to help sell its gear. The concept is that this Airstream is the home of a wandering adventurer who travels the world and occasionally sells what he's picked up along the way. I met Gaugain here in San Francisco last week and he took me through the design.
@current / @total
- Something interesting appears to be happening in Katowice, Poland. Last week, we profiled a design boutique that recently opened there.
As part of the marketing department, I'm constantly multitasking and discovering ways to be more purposeful about the things I do, in order to increase efficiency. It occurred to me that this translates to my personal life as well. I love to shop, find the perfect gifts for others, and support notable causes. Here are some gifts that will not only support these special organizations, but will also remind your loved ones to help others in need.
- In our September 2012 "Open House" issue, we covered the renovated airstream of Austin, Texas's Stubb's. With the help of designer Burton Baldridge, the renowned concert venue…
- In the wake of the London Olympics, Nike teamed up with global curator Neville Wakefield and six other designers to dream up a structure that celebrates its latest product release, the Flyknit…
- Senior Editor Aaron Britt talked to Kiel Mead the other day, after an initial cruise through his site yielded the Birdie Light, which he promptly posted.
From Big Sur to Texas, we love tracking how people live at home (or on the road) in the modern world with airstreams, creatively updating, renovating, and styling along the way. Enjoy this collection of stories!
- Midcentury-master Harry Bertoia's oeuvre includes iconic furniture, prints and drawings, sculpture, jewelry, and more.
- Obsessed with Southwestern art and one-of-a-kind crafts, the owners of this Portland, Oregon, store explain their aesthetic in ten easy pieces.