Renovating the Swan House: Part 3
In this three-part series, expanding on our July/August 2012 "Designers at Home" theme, Los Angeles–based architect Barbara Bestor tracks her hands-on, ten-month renovation of the Swan House, a 1950s bungalow in Silver Lake. We've featured her work previously in the magazine here. See Part One of the series here, and Part Two here. Part Three: The Finished Product
I bought my house in the Silver Lake hills in December 2010, started renovating it the next month, and we moved in in October 2011. Renovation took ten months. I probably could have done it twice as fast if I had pre-planned it out in advance. Instead I did a "shoot from the hip" renovation. I had a big installation going on in the spring (Silent Disco at Sci-Arc) and was very distracted, so the house was sort of my fun recreational project. Still, it was fun to do it this way—more like a couture process than a typical gig. Lots of trying out new things, and changing direction along the way. Here's a peek at the finished product.
@current / @total
- In this three-part series, expanding on our July/August 2012 "Designers at Home" theme, Los Angeles-based architect Barbara Bestor tracks her hands-on, ten-month renovation of the Swan…
- The weeklong City Modern festival concluded with a bang over the weekend with the Manhattan Home Tours.
- Architect J.C. Schmeil of Merzbau Design Collective recently completed this 4-bedroom, 4-bath house on Lake Austin in Texas, designed for a couple with three young children.
- It's our humble opinion that summers are best spent reclining on a warm sunny deck with a refreshing beverage in hand and a cool breeze blowing.
- At their house and flower farm in Los Angeles’s Glassell Park, Laura Gabbert and Andrew Avery bring friends, family, and a fleet of urban gardeners together for the classic indoor-outdoor party.
- On my recent trip to Melbourne, Australia, I did manage to get out of the city for one day.
- Take a peek inside a cottage renovated by Feldman Architecture for an artist and landscape architect.
- In the Sydney, Australia, neighborhood of Rozelle, architect Christopher Polly has renovated a house with green design in mind.