Renovating a Mid-Century Home
Robert Sallin, who has been steadily remodeling his mid-century residence, has a few words of wisdom for those thinking of taking on a home improvement project, mid-century or not: "Be sensitive to what the architect originally designed and extend that vision no matter what era it was built…the key is to be faithful." Sallin bought his Richad Dorman-designed home in 1968 with his wife, painter Sandra Sallin. They raised their family there, slowly adding a family room, pool, and artist's studio, and renovating the kitchen as well. Perched in the hills of Los Angeles overlooking the Pacific, the current iteration of the house is far from a looking like a patchwork of add-ons and pays tribute to Dorman's original design intent. If there's one person who has grappled with all the trials and tribulations of a mid-century renovation, it's Robert. Here, he gives us a brief tour of his home and offers a few tips and hints on what to keep in mind for a successful project.
Showing image @current of @total
- Each week Dwell.com delivers more than 50 original posts, articles, and interviews focused on the latest in modern design.
- This classic mid-century modern home in Lakewood, Washington, had great "bones" that had been compromised by subsequent remodels.
- While some midcentury gems merely need a spruce up, others require a complete overhaul. Here are 5 that have gained new life, inside and out.
- Built in 1950, Lloyd and Kirsten Thompson's Austin house had "some inherent mid-century charm and good flow," says architect J.C. Schmeil of Merzbau Design Collective.
- Browse beautiful and innovative bathroom designs from the pages of Dwell and get inspiration for your own bath tile, toilet, bathtub, bath sink, and shower.
- One of the great pleasures of visiting the McKenzie Residence in our September 2012 story "Borrego Springs Eternal," is owner Stacey Chapman Paton's collection of mid-century furniture and…
- What do an Eichler in San Rafael, a prefab in Emeryville, and a house/gallery in Antwerp have in common? They feature interiors outfitted with mid-century furniture.
- We were recently in Palm Springs soaking up the sun and the majesty of the town's mid-century design.