Refurbishing A Lane Coffee Table
I purchased this table months ago from a thrift store in Chicago.
It was a mistake.
As you can see from the before photo, it's more of a project than it is a table. And I swore to myself I would stop buying projects, because in my possession, projects tend to remain projects and rarely turn into tables.
But this project had two things going for it: it's made by Lane, the American furniture manufacturer known for the case goods and accent tables they pumped out in the 1950s and '60s, so I know it's durable and has a recognizable brand name behind it. And it has a suspended magazine rack. People love a suspended magazine rack.
So finally on a nice day in September I started the process of turning this project into a table.
@current / @total
- Data Modern Furnishings was founded by Ryan Richardson in the fall of 2010, after 18 months of prototyping and tweaking their products.
- The second part of my recent Michigan trip took me to Midland to see the work of Alden B. Dow.
- One of the highlights of my trip down to Borrego Springs and the Anza Borrego desert, was a detour to Salvation Mountain.
- For our October issue we're celebrating the best in American design, so we recently got on the phone with Parsons-trained furniture and lighting designer Joshua Howe who spoke to us from his Hudson,…
- For Brussels-based furniture designer Christiane Högner, inspiration comes less from glossy design mags than the castoffs she finds on the streets of Belgium.
Designed as a set, the console table and mirror are both fabricated from hand-selected solid american black walnut. Traditional mortise and tenon joinery is used for the table while the mirror has a custom curved profile which complements the angular form of the table. Photograph by Roberto D'Addona.
Let X mark the spot where you store your favorite magazines. David Brunicardi fashioned this rack from FSC certified Douglas Fir, and the clean, simple shape makes for a nice alternative to a growing stack of back issues strewn across your coffee table.
- In this Conversation Piece series, we take a look at eight statement side tables. From bold colors to striking and innovative design, these side tables are sure to catch the eye and create a stir.