Making the Corian Shelf
When people enter Svetlin Krastev and Dessi Nikolova's one-bedroom apartment in Manhattan—featured in our March issue and online here—the first thing they see is the sculptural Corian wall hovering dramatically over the bed. Architect Erich Schoenenberger, of su11 architecture + design, describes it as "kind of a melting design that comes from above and goes down the shelves." Schoenenberger enlisted Associated Fabrication LLC to fabricate the components in their Brooklyn shop, and assemble and install it in the apartment. Here's a behind-the-scenes peek at how it was done.
@current / @total
- When the bucket has cooled, it’s time to assemble the pieces. Ahmadou Kaloga, an EOS applications support technician, usually does the unpacking. “It’s like an archeological dig,” says Kyttänen.
- In 2008, Mimi Cahalan, a Santa Cruz, California-based artist, was commissioned to create a piece of art to line the outdoor entranceway to the Lido Apartments in Santa Monica, California.
- A desk, a loveseat, and a shelving system -- all in one single flat pack? I, too, was amazed at the clever level of reconfigurability when I saw these new pieces appear in my inbox.
- The weeklong City Modern festival concluded with a bang over the weekend with the Manhattan Home Tours.
- When compiling the list of the 20 most popular modern homes featured throughout Dwell's 12-year history, certain themes began to surface: small space projects, renovations, unconventional living…
- In the digital era, we love innovative live-work areas, but we will always champion playing at home, whether it’s a perfectly placed pool, oversized chalkboard wall, or the ultimate pair of bunk beds.
- In Warsaw, Poland, a resident breathes new life into an old apartment by dismantling, then reassembling, his late grandmother's hodgepodge of wooden furniture and creates a self-contained do-it-all…
- Whether housed inside a tightly packed apartment or an iconic mid-century abode, an interior space usually needs that special something to complete the room.