Hollywood Renovation: Week 8
In this exclusive series for Dwell.com, Linda Taalman of Taalman Koch Architecture tracks the hands-on renovation of her and her partner's live-work space in Hollywood, California. Week 8: Furnishing the living area.
As noted by previous tenants, living in Ellwood’s Courtyard apartments is a constant source of pleasure. Even when we are busy working we are enjoying the space. One of our main strategies in furnishing the living area is the use of natural materials to soften the space and keep things as elemental as the building. The ground floor in the back functions as an informal living room, which doubles as overflow workspace. It needed to be a comfortable place to sit and for people to gather around the fireplace; it had to work for both live and work; and it also had to be durable and able to stand up to kids. This week we are primarily focusing on furnishing the living space, with a little help from two of our favorite furniture and lifestyle shops in Los Angeles: Tortoise and Specific. Both shops provide an aesthetically tuned eye and present unique one-of-a-kind objects, art and furniture pieces that are handcrafted, beautiful and affordable. The other major feature in our living space is the artwork, with our good friend Uta Barth’s photos as the centerpiece.
@current / @total
- For the past six months, Linda Taalman of Taalman Koch Architecture has been blogging for Dwell.com about her hands-on renovation of her family's live-work rental apartment in Los Angeles.
- Mad Men’s Vincent Kartheiser has all he needs in his compact, 580-square-foot Hollywood abode.
- I'm just back from Paris, and still processing all the exciting new furnishings, accessories, and objets I spied at Maison & Objet over the weekend.
Our recent trip down to Los Angeles for Dwell on Design allowed us a little time to stroll around Abbot Kinney in Venice, and one of our favorite stops was a small shop called Tortoise. If you live in the South Bay, a trip to the boutique (with a second location "general store" just down the street) is a super bet for browsing beautiful Japanese design. This iron bottle opener is just a taste of the range of art objects and functional pieces they stock.
- In this exclusive series for Dwell.com, Linda Taalman of Taalman Koch Architecture tracks the hands-on renovation of her and her partner's live-work space in Hollywood, California.
- A renovated concrete abode in Belgium, Jonathan Adler's quirky Shelter Island beachside retreat, and a British farmhouse are just a few projects in our collection of living rooms that showcase the…
- Modern design doesn't always have to be so highbrow, sometimes it can be downright whimsical. Here, we've gathered up eight of our favorite playfully and amusing modern designs.
- Now that winter is long gone, weʼre looking forward to spending more time outdoors in our front garden—which doubles as an outdoor room.