Hollywood Renovation: Week 11
When you have a small footprint and you need more space, sometimes the only place to go is up. Our downstairs space is only 750 square feet and accommodates both living and working, so space is at a premium. We wanted to maintain our office space as a compressed six-foot-wide zone along the 38-foot-long north wall, and add storage space for samples, models, binders, coats, and bags. Hanging shelving or artwork in a space with only wood and brick walls presents a challenge, too, since we want to minimize change to the historical structure and to retain the openness of the space. So we decided to add a long minimal shelf along the brick wall and a series of simple pegs on the wood wall.
In this exclusive series for Dwell.com, Linda Taalman of Taalman Koch Architecture tracks the hands-on renovation of her and her partner's live-work space in Hollywood, California. Week 11: Installing vertical storage.
@current / @total
- A rainy start to the Brooklyn Home Tour—the closing event of City Modern—didn't deter those who turned out for a peek into five unique homes in Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, and Boerum…
- Adrian Jones lived in his top-floor loft in Brooklyn’s Williamsburg neighborhood for nine years before renovating.
- An airy addition on the back of a historic house in Boise is a model of sensitive renovation, seamlessly melding new and old.
- Inspired by our Made in the USA product roundup in our October 2012 issue, which featured everything from eco-friendly wallpaper to LED lamps made from wood scraps, we bring you the latest from…
- La Formiga d'Or, an offshoot of Happy Books, is a curious little shop uniquely located in the cloister of the Cathedral of Barcelona.
- Display your prized collections elegantly with wall-mounted shelves. From custom outfits to modular installations, we share seven solutions for hanging storage.
- New York City is the nation’s capital of cramped quarters. But for a select lucky few, scant square footage adds up to a cozy home to call one’s own.
- In this second installment of our small space series, we've put together 10 perfect pieces to enhance your limited living space.