Building a Prefab House
A highlight of reporting "A Simple Plan," my story about the Marmol Radziner-designed prefab in Ukiah, California (in our December/January 2012 issue, and online here) was sitting down with the residents and hearing about how the house came together on the site. Residents Abbie and Bill Burton worked with Marmol Radziner to design a two-bedroom, 2,200-square-foot house (with an additional 1,400 square feet of covered decks) for their rural site in Mendocino County. The house, made of ten prefabricated steel modules, took three months to build in the firm's factory—and just a single day to assemble on the site. The Burtons shared their snapshots of the on-site construction process, which they witnessed from lawn chairs on a neighboring hill. "It was instantaneous," said Bill. "We went from having just a foundation on our site to walking around our house a few hours later. You never see architecture come together like that." Here's a glimpse at the wonder of prefab.
Showing image @current of @total
- A Marmol Radziner–designed prefab house, trucked onto a remote Northern California site, takes the pain out of the construction process.
- Amid the industrial expanse of Vernon, California, Marmol Radziner Prefab’s factory-built homes are pieced together in a process akin to the assembly lines made famous by Henry Ford.
- The locations may be far flung—from rural Missouri to Eglisau, Switzerland—the residents might be architects, families, or weekend warriors, but the constant is prefabrication in our…
- After completion at the factory, each home is shrink-wrapped and loaded onto a truck for direct site delivery.
- Is the modernist's perfect companion a fluffy pooch?
- Three months ago, this was the site of Leo Marmol's new prefabbed residence in Venice.
- From prefab to site-built, and off the grid to plugged in, to follow are some of our favorite desert houses from the pages of Dwell.
- This blog series profiles a new prefab development in San Francisco's SOMA neighborhood—a LEED Platinum-targeted building containing 23 "micro-studios." Built in a California factory in a month…