Big Sur Airstream Renovation
"I found the Airstream in the high desert of Anza, California, and thought it was a pure TLC job. Wishful thinking!" says interior designer Caroline Brandes, who also rents renovated Airstreams on her property in Big Sur through Big Sur Getaway. "Even though the interior looked decent, once back home in Big Sur I had discovered water leaks, extensive floor rot under the linoleum tiles, and even frame damage." She hired Area 63 Productions, a professional Airstream renovation company, to help. For the interiors, she sought a clean and airy look. "Most of the trailers I had seen so far were restored close to the 'vintage' idea, and to my taste most of them feel too dark, too cluttered and too traditional," she says. "I wanted the trailer to feel airy, calm and open, nearly a bit Zen-like." Here's a glimpse into the renovation, start to finish.
@current / @total
- The iconic, and slightly atomic, form of the shiny silver Airstream is embedded in our cultural and design milieu.
- In our September 2012 "Open House" issue, we covered the renovated airstream of Austin, Texas's Stubb's. With the help of designer Burton Baldridge, the renowned concert venue…
From Big Sur to Texas, we love tracking how people live at home (or on the road) in the modern world with airstreams, creatively updating, renovating, and styling along the way. Enjoy this collection of stories!
- When San Francisco–based architect Christi Azevedo and her partner bought an investment property in Oakland, what was billed in real estate listings as a 'detached garage' turned out to be a…
- Most folks who kit out a vintage Airstream intend to take it on the road, but Burton Baldridge’s design—a hip new green room for one of the most respected music venues in Austin,…
- After spending the weekend at the Monterey Design Conference, we have the beautiful coast of central California at top of mind.
- From renovated Airstreams to futuristic cars, these roaming residences represent the past, present, and future of mobile living.
- The Hotel Daniel is a 115-room boutique hotel in Vienna, Austria.