Works by Maira Kalman
Last week painter and illustrator Maira Kalman was in San Francisco to kick off the Contemporary Jewish Museum's run of her new show Maira Kalman: Various Illuminations (Of a Crazy World). I had a chance to talk with Kalman and wander through the gallery with her and the show's curator Ingrid Shaffner. Check out our conversation and click on the slideshow here to get a good look at her work.
@current / @total
This is the first major museum survey of the work of illustrator, author and designer Maira Kalman. This exhibition features a selection spanning thirty years of original works on paper and design production, along with less widely seen aspects of Kalman's work in photography, embroidery, textiles, and performance.
This is the first museum survey of Maira Kalman’s narrative art. Working as an illustrator, author, and designer, Kalman is well known for her covers and drawings for The New Yorker, over a dozen books for children and adults, two celebrated illustrated blogs for The New York Times, and collaborations with leading designers and innovators.
- I've long loved her New Yorker covers, and am still over the moon about the illustrated version of Strunk and White's classic The Elements of Style from 2005, so I leapt at the chance to meet…
- Not so long ago I had a chance to talk with illustrator Maira Kalman when she came to San Francisco for the launch of a retrospective of her work at the Contemporary Jewish Museum.
- On Thursday, the Smithsonian's Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum announced the winners of its 11th annual National Design Awards.
- One week ago, as New Yorkers celebrated Pride Week, Architecture Research Office (ARO) announced its plans for a new synagogue, built for the 40-year-old LGBT religious institution Congregation Beit…
- Our City Living issue, due out on newsstands September 10, focuses on design and architecture in urban locales.
- Over eight short years The London Design Festival has grown from a minor design-world offshoot to one of the few must-attend events.