True Hollywood Story
- Julius Shulman was a famous American photographer known for his residential photography of modernist residences in midcentury Southern California.
- This Sunday, October 10, on the day that would have been architectural photographer Julius Shulman’s 100th birthday, the MAK Center for Art & Architecture at the Schindler House will hold…
As part of our Design Leaders video series, legendary architectural photographer Julius Shulman reflects on his life's work.
This architecture tour will feature six modernist residences recorded by acclaimed architectural photographer Julius Shulman (1910-2009). Homes by R.M. Schindler, Richard Neutra, Pierre Koenig, Raphael Soriano (Shulman's longtime residence) and Carl Louis Maston will be included:
Lovell Health House (1929), Richard Neutra
Kun House (1936), Richard Neutra
Gold House (1945), R.M. Schindler
Hillside House (1948), Carl Louis Maston
Shulman House (1950), Raphael Soriano
Gantert House (1981), Pierre Koenig
- From the photographer who shaped how mid-century architecture was communicated to the furniture designer whose work is synonymous with the "space-age pop" aesthetic, we profile five icons you should…
- Last weekend, the Getty Research Institute's show Julius Shulman's Los Angeles opened in its third location, a cathedral-like neo-Mudéjar style water tower named Canal de Isabel II in Madrid.
- With the help of DSH Architects, a pair of intrepid Angelenos restored (and gently updated) Rudolph Schindler’s iconic Bubeshko Apartments.
- Greta Grossman, for a while relegated to the footnotes of design history, is finally getting the deserved recognition as one of the pioneers of mid-century modernism in both Sweden and California.