Thomas Phifer: Light on the Subject
- While reporting the March Profile story about Thomas Phifer (see it online here), I had the opportunity to visit one of his masterworks, the Fishers Island House, located off the coast of…
- The North Carolina Museum of Art recently unveiled a new building to house its permanent collection: a 127,000-square-foot, light-filled structure designed by New York-based architects Thomas Phifer…
- Inspired by a never-performed symphony he discovered in a book by avant-garde composer John Cage, architect Steven Holl has designed a masterful home and gallery in Seoul that fuses architecture and…
- Last week I spent a few days running around Manhattan (sometimes literally) reporting a handful of upcoming stories for Dwell.
- Even the most time-honored institutions can sometimes use a facelift. These venerable museums across the country are being revitalized with modern renovations.
- A change of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, neighborhood for Rick and Susan Moreland meant a chance to create a thoroughly modern house that owes its sleek, sustainable form to its vernacular roots.
- How a Bay Area architect who toggles his time between the coasts found his home away from home in a modern Manhattan high-rise.
- In this new feature, we present an architectural insider’s guide to a great design destination. This issue: Buenos Aires, Argentina.