- A new project by Muji mastermind Kenya Hara celebrates the relationship between humans and dogs, one downloadable blueprint at a time.
- Architect Louis Kahn is the subject of a new exhibition opening September 8 at the Netherlands Architecture Institute (NAI) in Rotterdam.
In partnership with AIR, the architecture centre in Rotterdam, the International Architecture Biennale Rotterdam (IABR) is organizing five lectures on the theme ‘Making City’.
‘How do we make city?’ That is the central question of the 5th IABR. It is also a call to everyone—governments, policy-makers, politicians, designers and the public—to set to work on the city with enthusiasm. Participants from over 35 cities around the world will gather in Rotterdam in April 2012 at the invitation of the IABR. Together with projects initiated by the IABR, their plans and projects will feature in the main exhibition Making City at the Netherlands Architecture Institute (NAI).
In the run-up to that event, representatives of the cities will meet one another this autumn in Rotterdam during closed ‘Urban Meetings’. On the evening before each Urban Meeting the IABR, in partnership with AIR, will hold a public lecture in the Dépendance, Schieblock, Rotterdam.
From October 17 through October 25 2009, Eindhoven presents the 8th edition of Dutch Design Week, the largest design event in the Netherlands. Around 1500 designers from home and abroad will show their work in more than 60 locations all over the city of Eindhoven from design disciplines such as industrial design, concept design, graphic design, textile & fashion, spatial design, fooddesign and design management & trends. Visitors will be given insight into the entire development process from concept to product in various disciplines ranging from industrial design to applied arts.
The Consulate General of the Netherlands in San Francisco is pleased to announce the launch of Seeing Orange: Dutch Design Week. Developed in collaboration with local architecture and design organizations, Seeing Orange highlights the best of the Dutch creative industries in all areas of design, including architecture, fashion, industrial design and the graphic arts. Featuring workshops, lectures and gatherings that showcase the work of invited Dutch designers, the week seeks to foster dialogue, inspiration, knowledge exchange and collaboration between design practitioners, students and institutions in the Bay area and the Netherlands.
- Since graduating from Design Academy Eindhoven in 2003, Rotterdam-based Christine Meinderstma has carved a niche for herself exploring the stories of ordinary objects.
- Some of my earliest memories are of playgrounds: launching myself into a pit of plastic balls outside a fast-food restaurant in New York and whizzing down (and scratching my arm) on the horrifying…
- The Balancing Barn by the Dutch design stars MVRDV has gotten a fair bit of play around the web, but little does it better justice than this great video from the Brits over at Dezeen.