Photographer Iwan Baan Honored
On October 10--the 100th anniversary of legendary photographer Julius Shulman--artist Iwan Baan was honored with the inaugural Julius Shulman Institute Photography Award. Just as Shulman was the choice to capture the works of mid-century-modern architects like Richard Neutra, Rudolph Schindler, and Pierre Koenig, Baan (a young photographer from the Netherlands) blossomed shooting the structures of today's top designers: Herzog & de Meuron, Rem Koolhaus, Thom Mayne, and Sanaa, to name a few. We've been captivated just as much by the buildings Baan has photographed as the images themselves and here present a short roundup of our favorites from the past.
@current / @total
As part of our Design Leaders video series, legendary architectural photographer Julius Shulman reflects on his life's work.
- Julius Shulman was a famous American photographer known for his residential photography of modernist residences in midcentury Southern California.
- For over seventy years, through 7,000 photography sessions, and with 70,000 negatives, Julius Shulman captured the elusive spirit of architecture with an unerring eye and indefatigable…
- Last weekend, the Getty Research Institute's show Julius Shulman's Los Angeles opened in its third location, a cathedral-like neo-Mudéjar style water tower named Canal de Isabel II in Madrid.
In celebration of Julius Shulman’s 100th birthday, the Julius Shulman Institute at Woodbury University presents: 10-10-10 IMAGE.ARCHITECTURE.NOW, a symposium and exhibition exploring intersections between photography and the built environment.
- We here at the Dwell offices were all saddened to learn that architectural photographer Julius Shulman passed away last night at the age of 98.
- A documentary screening at Dwell on Design zooms in for a close-up on 98-year-old architectural photographer Julius Shulman and his iconic images that came to define modernism and Los Angeles with a…
- From the photographer who shaped how mid-century architecture was communicated to the furniture designer whose work is synonymous with the "space-age pop" aesthetic, we profile five icons you should…